Name: Marie Gilligan
Position: Owner / CEO
Location: Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
Marie helps clients with Hypnotherapy programs, either face to face or online (e-Hypnotherapy), specialising in menopausal women, addictions and disorders and treat each client on an individual basis according to their special needs they want addressed with the expectation of a successful outcome.
She always also follow-ups every single client after their therapy to see how they are going and if they’re still on track.
What products/services do you offer?
Online programs can be purchased on my website from $180.00 and include Donating Kilos to the Universe (weight loss), Smoking, Anxiety and also currently some self-hypnosis mp3 audios.
I offer a range of products and services, from a one-hour consultation and therapy to two part programs and I currently am offering four and six week programs in weight loss and menopause.
Why did you start your business and how long have you been running it?
I was certified as a Practitioner of Hypnotherapy in 2019, after several months of training and practical sessions. I have always been interested in the sub-conscious mind and for some reason, have always had people coming to me seeking advice and help with various life issues, so it felt like a natural transition, and I was right as it has become a passion for me.
What struggles do you think most businesses face in your industry and what would you say they need to do to overcome them?
Technology and Marketing – simply put, it’s best to outsource to people who know what to do, so you can concentrate on what you are good at.
What has been your greatest accomplishment?
I can’t really say there is one exactly, but every time I have a grateful and successful client who sends me a wonderful letter of thanks, it is personally fulfilling every single time.
What has been your biggest ‘fail’ so far?
Trying to do too many things at once, eg. too many businesses at the same time. If I had my time over, I would go with one and stick to it, but unfortunately hindsight is not foresight.
What do you love most about your business?
Helping people to lead a happier and healthier lifestyle.
What do you find most challenging?
Having to explain how hypnotherapy is not what you see on stage and also people who want their issue solved but are not prepared to be open and go
with the process.
How do you promote your business (please include as many details as you can)?
- Locally online,
- Social media,
- I recently had a half page spread in local paper
- Word of mouth
- Functions and presentations, both personally and online.
10. What business skills do you have (eg. graphic design, customer service)?
After 20+ years in hospitality, I have quite a few, see following:-
Hospitality and Event Management
- Leadership – staff training, coaching and supervision
- Demonstration of excellence in customer relations, service and support
- Developing client relationships and maintaining friendly, reliable service to all
- Sales, coordination and operations of events, including organisation of staff
- Overseeing all operations of the events and ensuring a smooth, safe and fun event
- Outdoor catering, including marquees, large sporting events and large VIP dinner occasions
- Attendance at many bridal and corporate sales Expos, both in Brisbane and Darwin
- Hosted booth at ATE – Brisbane
- Recruitment, interviewing and training of all staff, both sales and operations
- Creating and promoting ideas and strategies to increase event business
- Customer greeting and assessing individual needs
- Conference and Event Sales – phone and face to face
- Customer Service and Relationship Building
- Social Media Marketing
- Website Monitoring – adjusting rates online to achieve greater revenue
- Property Management – accommodation bookings, sales and all operations
- Accommodation and Travel Organisation and Bookings
- Time Management – diaries, deadlines etc.
- Interpersonal and Negotiation Skills
- Excellent written, organisational and verbal skills
- Budgets and meeting of deadlines
- Creation and delivery of weekly and monthly reporting standards
- MS Suite (inclues PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Google Docs, Outlook)
- Gmail – set-up and re-direction of e-mails
- GoDaddy – platform for creating domains and setting up websites
- Hirum Accommodation System
- Fidelio Accommodation System
- Salesforce – sales CRM
- ACT D-Base – sales CRM
- GetResponse – automated e-maul marketing system
- Everwebinar – set-up and distribution of webinars
- ScheduleOnce – set-up automated scheduling system for people to book appointment online
- Podia – platform to create and sell online digital products or courses
- Facebook – setting up paid ads through targetted audiences
- Vimeo – platform to store recorded promotional videos
- Lumen5 – create and download short videos to social media to promote business
- AppsKitPro – create individual Apps for businesses
What software did you/your designer use to create your website (eg. WordPress, Wix)?
WordPress – I find it most user-friendly and have always used it.
What are some of your favourite business tools and apps?
I like doing graphics and videos the best, so Canva and Lumen are two favourites.
I also like ScheduleOnce and some of the automation e-mail software.
What do you like about your website and what’s not working for you?
I like the presentation and the varied and quality of information I have on there, along with the reasonably priced products on offer.
What lessons have you learnt during your time as an entrepreneur?
As above, don’t try to do everything at once and outsource things which take up too much time.
What key tips for success in business would you like to share with others?
There’s a lot, but I think the main one is to not get sucked in by every Guru on the planet and the next best “shiny thing” on the market and check people’s credentials and offer before you commit to anything.
What is the one thing that you want everyone to take away from this post?
Being an entrepreneur is not a glamour job and it involves hard work and persistency and consistency. If you don’t have that, along with many, many other things, you will not succeed.