My Mia’s Skin Relief
Name: Geeta Powani
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I provide organic, natural and toxic free eczema skin care products for babies, toddlers, teenagers and adults.
What products/services do you offer?
My main offering is a 3 Step Eczema Relief kit, which takes the customer through:
Step 1: Cleanse & Clear the skin, using our Eczema Relief Bath Salts
Step 2: Repair & Regenerate, using two levels of eczema creams (one for the flare up & the other for dry flaking skin) – Eczema Relief Level 1 & Eczema Relief Level 2
Step 3: Hydrate & Protect, using our Skin Repair & Barrier Cream
Why did you start your business and how long have you been running it?
My business has been created by pure need.
My daughter, Mia, suffered chronic eczema. She has been hospitalised twice, underwent 12 months of UV light therapy, had daily bleach baths, used regular antibiotics and used up to 10 tubes of steroid cream every month.
There was no end to her eczema spiralling out of control.
Her only medical solution was long term immune suppressant medication to manage her eczema.
Fortunately, I met an amazing Nutritionist that guided to me a gut healing diet to restore Mia from the inside out.
Alongside healing her gut, we strengthened her immune system and moved to natural and toxic free skin care products to manage her skin (which I developed for her).
What has been your greatest accomplishment?
By taking a holistic approach to my daughters health – We were able to avoid taking long term immune suppressant medication (which would require monthly blood tests to make sure her organs were still functioning properly).
What has been your biggest ‘fail’ so far?
Depends how you look at it.
I’ve made allot of mistakes ie. Paying for things I don’t need, outsourcing things to start this business when I should have done them myself.
But with each mistake, I have learnt something. Grown. And evolved my approach.
What do you love most about your business?
Honestly, I LOVE everything.
I feel so incredibly blessed, that we were able to get through the other side of our eczema journey and create these wonderful products.
If I had to choose though, the thing I love the most – is seeing the positive transformation in a person who has used the products and who’s eczema symptoms have calmed down.
What do you find most challenging?
I find it challenging juggling the many balls in my court from:
- Ordering packaging, ingredients, manufacturing
- Learning marketing, SEO, online advertising
- Staying on top of inventory, cash flow
- Being able to grow my business, while running my business
Managing life with 3 kids, a husband and a cute doggy.
How do you promote your business (please include as many details as you can)?
I have only just started with this. I am starting advertising on facebook and google.
What business skills do you have (eg. graphic design, customer service)?
I am a Chartered Accountant. My first job was an auditor. And it evolved over the years to teaching accounting/ auditing at University.
What software did you/your designer use to create your website (eg. WordPress, Wix)?
What are some of your favourite business tools and apps?
What do you like about your website?
I love the simplicity of Shopify & adding more apps functionality as I grow.
What would you like to improve on your website?
I would love to make my website speedier.
What lessons have you learnt during your time as an entrepreneur?
- Every day is a new day.
- Don’t ever beat yourself up, because you are doing the best job you possibly can.
- Learn from every mistake.
- Celebrate every success.
- And enjoy the journey.
What key tips for success in business would you like to share with others?
- Create a clear vision for your ideal life and business goals
- Check in and clear the junk (physical or emotional) that may be in the way from you achieving that life
- Fill yourself with great books, courses, people and environment
- Create a plan to break your goals into smaller bite size pieces
- Take small action towards your goal every day
- Check in at the end of each day. And prepare a quick plan ready for your tasks to complete tomorrow.
- When you feel stuck – get away from the computer, get outside, exercise, get fresh air and go for a walk.
What is the one thing that you want everyone to take away from this post?
- Keep showing up in every moment of your life, as you never know what is waiting for you around the corner.
- When my daughter was struggling with eczema, every waking moment was consumed with how to help her.
- I never would have imagined that today I would be sharing my knowledge and products with others.